BBC journalist Berg’s outstanding debut reveals the true story of a secret Israeli operation to bring Ethiopian Jews to Israel, using a fake holiday resort as a base of operations. Ethiopian Jews had long been cut off from the rest of the world, living in poverty and oppression, and many of them faced hardship and death to walk across the border to Sudan, where they wound up in horrific refugee camps. One such Jew, Ferede Aklum, sent telegrams to aid agencies asking for help, and Israel’s intelligence agency, the Mossad, launched Operation Brothers in Sudan, run by a Mossad agent named Dani with assistance from Aklum. As part of the scheme, Dani created a false company to lease an abandoned diving resort on the Red Sea from the Sudanese government and used it for years as a base to smuggle out people via airlifts and ships. Between 1979 and 1983, Operation Brothers relocated 28,695 Ethiopian Jews to Israel. Berg’s moving, well-researched book stands as the definitive account of this heroic rescue mission. It deserves a wide readership.
Our safety tips
- Listings with a "Shop" tag means that the publisher was curated by Jumia.
- At all costs, avoid paying before seeing the item.
- Avoid sending money through untraceable methods such as Western Union or Mobile Money.
- Thoroughly check the item to make sure it's matches the assumed condition.
- If the seller doesn't have a shop, meet with him in a public place (Mall, Gas station, workplace ...).
- Do not give personal details (bank details, credit card numbers ...).
- Beware of offers that are too good to be true.